25 May 2023
30 June 2023
London, Nairobi or Singapore
GMC’s Legal team currently consists of two Co-Heads of Legal and two senior lawyer and one Paralegal. Internal legal support is provided for GuarantCo transactions in North and Sub-Saharan Africa, South and South-East Asia. The role is focussed on supporting GuarantCo’s innovative and complex transactions and would suit an individual who is solution-orientated and comfortable navigating multi-jurisdictional legal considerations.
The Legal Counsel role will support on transactions and legal issues for GuarantCo globally.
GuarantCo mobilises private sector local currency investment for infrastructure projects and supports the development of financial markets in lower income countries across Africa and Asia. GuarantCo is part of the Private Infrastructure Development Group (PIDG) and is funded by the governments of the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Australia and Sweden, through the PIDG Trust, and the Netherlands, through FMO, the Dutch Development Bank and the PIDG Trust. GuarantCo’s funds, through the GuarantCo Management Company (GMC), is managed by Cardano Development.
GuarantCo is rated AA- by Fitch and A1 by Moody’s. The company’s vision is to become a centre of excellence for local currency credit solutions for infrastructure finance in lower income countries thereby assisting with the alleviation of poverty.
The GMC team is head-quartered in the City of London, with regional hubs in Nairobi and Singapore, and is small, diverse, focused, collaborative and action orientated. We are looking for candidates who have the experience to deliver against the responsibilities of the role and who are passionate about making a difference whilst working in an entrepreneurial and innovative environment.
- Review and comment on local legal and jurisdictional legal advice often in relation to complex, pathfinder transactions with little or no legal precedence.
- Liaise with external counsel and support transaction management, reviewing agreements drafted by external counsel, in particular, GuarantCo’s standard guarantees and recourse agreements.
- Review and/or support the drafting of NDAs, mandate letters, term-sheets, powers of attorneys, grants, consultancy contracts and/or other forms of commercial contract.
- Assist with the selection and appointment of external legal counsel on transactions.
- Ensure GuarantCo’s policy requirements are met in transaction documents prepared by external counsel.
- Assist with training the team on legal aspects affecting transactions.
- Update and manage internal legal templates.
- Assist with and/or draft amendments and waivers to transaction documents.
- Assist the Client Relationship team with interpretation of legal clauses and solutions for stressed transactions.
Any other duties as may be assigned by the Co Heads of Legal and, or other senior manager of GMC from time to time.
- Mid – level qualified lawyer (although all levels of PQE will be considered) – the lawyer may be qualified in a jurisdiction other than England & Wales but will need to be able to grasp English law concepts as GuarantCo key legal documentation is governed by English law
- Corporate finance, structured, leveraged or project finance transactions with an excellent understanding of standard LMA documentation and clauses
- Legal transaction management from term-sheet to satisfaction of condition precedents
- Understanding of both civil and common law jurisdictions useful
- Emerging/developing markets
- Credit insurance
- Corporate bond issues
- Financial guarantees
- Stressed assets
- Team player but able to work self-sufficiently
- Good verbal and written communication at middle/senior levels
- Intellectual curiosity
- Good networker and relationship builder
- Cultural awareness
- Ability to influence and obtain buy-in from a wide range of stakeholders
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Attention to detail
- Self-starter, able to collaborate closely with colleagues
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision at times
- Entrepreneurial but with a strong ethical foundation
- Resilience, not put off by set-backs
- Analytical ability
- Problem solving, ability to think laterally
- Ability to understand and navigate complex issues
- Capable of developing and communicating their own point of view
- Common sense
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At GMC, we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and culture, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Valuing diversity is essential to GuarantCo’s work. We aim to act in accordance with and promote equality legislation by avoiding unjustified discrimination and recognising discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All GuarantCo employees are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies. GuarantCo is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and is keen to reflect diversity at every level within the organisation.
Interested in applying for this role? Please submit your CV and cover letter below: