GuarantCo Ltd (GuarantCo) mobilises private sector local currency investment for infrastructure projects and supports the development of financial markets in lower income countries across Africa and Asia. GuarantCo is part of the Private Infrastructure Development Group (PIDG) and is funded by the governments of the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Australia and Sweden, through the PIDG Trust, and the Netherlands, through FMO, the Dutch Development Bank and the PIDG Trust.
GuarantCo is rated AA- by Fitch and A1 by Moody’s. The company’s vision is to become a centre of excellence for local currency credit solutions for infrastructure finance in lower income countries thereby assisting with the alleviation of poverty.
GuarantCo’s funds, through GuarantCo Management Company (GMC), are managed by Cardano Development, a Dutch foundation with charitable status. GMC is the day-to-day manager of GuarantCo and is head-quartered in the City of London, with regional hubs in Nairobi and Singapore. The GMC team is small, diverse, focused, collaborative and action orientated. We are looking for candidates who have the experience to deliver against the responsibilities of the role and who are passionate about making a difference whilst working in an entrepreneurial and innovative environment.
Valuing diversity is essential to our work. We aim to act in accordance with and promote equality legislation by avoiding unjustified discrimination and recognising discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All GMC employees are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies. GMC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and is keen to reflect diversity at every level within the organisation.
This role would suit a UK qualified finance lawyer looking to make their first move in-house. It will be an interesting and varied role with the ability to become involved and play an essential role in novel transactions. It offers development opportunities and the ability to take on more responsibility as the role matures.
The Legal Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel and support on transactions and legal issues for GuarantCo globally. The Legal Counsel will work alongside two other Legal Counsels.
- Review and/or support the drafting of NDAs, mandate letters, term-sheets, powers of attorneys, grants, consultancy contracts and/or other forms of commercial contract.
- Assist with the selection and appointment of legal counsel on transactions.
- Liaise with external counsel and support transaction management, reviewing agreements drafted by external counsel, in particular, GuarantCo’s standard guarantees and recourse agreements.
- Ensure GuarantCo’s policy requirements are met in transaction documents prepared by external counsel.
- Review and comment on local legal and jurisdictional legal advice.
- Assist with training the team on legal aspects affecting transactions.
- Update and manage internal legal templates.
- Assist with and/or draft amendments and waivers to transaction documents.
- Assist the GuarantCo Client Relationship team with interpretation of legal clauses.
Any other duties as may be assigned by the General Counsel and, or other senior manager of GMC from time to time.
- Structured, leveraged or project finance transactions with an excellent understanding of standard LMA and bond documentation and clauses
- Legal transaction management from term-sheet to satisfaction of condition precedents
- Emerging/developing markets
- Credit insurance
- Corporate bond issues
- Bank guarantees
- Public procurement
- Team player but able to work self-sufficiently
- Good verbal and written communication at middle/senior levels
- Good networker and relationship builder
- Cultural awareness
- Ability to influence and obtain buy-in from a wide range of stakeholders
Interested in this role? Please apply on our website: Apply here